Do you think pasta tastes better when you are at a restaurant? If so, you are not alone. The reason pasta tastes better when out is that they make the noodles themselves. Homemade noodles take a longer to make, but they are much healthier and taste better than store-bought noodles. You can control the quality of the ingredients, which can give you peace of mind knowing what is in your family’s meal.
The great thing with using homemade noodles is you can make extra and freeze it. It makes it a great weekend project where you can get the other family members involved. It also gives you the ability to serve a home cooked meal on a busy night.
The recipe below can be doubled or tripled to give you more portions
These can be frozen for use on another day. With these noodles, you can make many different dishes (check out our recipes for ideas). Try them as a side dish or as a main entree by adding some chicken or beef. Use in soups and casseroles to give the main dish some body and make it more filling.
- 2 to 2 1/2 Cups Flour, divided
- 3 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Cold Water
- Deep Bowl or Pastry Board
- Wooden Spoon
- Pastry Knife or Regular Sharp Knife
- Rolling Pin
- Dry Paper Towels
- Large Pot
Step-by-step Instructions :
- Step 1: In a deep bowl or on pastry board, place 2 cups of the flour and salt. Mix these together lightly.
- Step 2: Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add the eggs and water.
- Step 3: Mix with hands or a wooden spoon until well blended. Do this gradually and slowly so as not to flip the flour around.
- Step 4: Gather the mixture into a ball and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth. Add flour when necessary to keep the dough from sticking to your hands or the board.
- Step 5: Divide the dough into three balls.
- Step 6: On a floured surface, roll each of the three balls into a rectangle. It should be paper thin. Do not allow the dough to break into holes. Use more flour to keep the dough from sticking if necessary.
- Step 7: Trim the edges so they are uniform and flour both sides of the dough.
- Step 8: Roll the dough in on itself to resemble a jelly roll. Cut each roll into 1/4-inch slices, or the size you want your noodles. NB! If you have a pasta machine you can use it to cut the roll.
- Step 9: Unroll the noodles carefully and set them on paper towels to dry.
This recipe will give you 10 portions of noodles.
Once dried, it is time to portion out the noodles. Put any noodles that will not be used in a freezer bag and place in the freezer for up to six months.
To Cook the Homemade Noodles :
- Step 1: Add water to a large pot and salt liberally. This is the only time you have to season the noodles themselves.
- Step 2: Once the water is at a rapid boil, add the oil and then drop the noodles into the water. Add a few at a time to prevent sticking.
- Step 3: Cook until the noodles are tender, yet firm. This should take about 10 minutes, but check constantly.
By taking a little extra time, you can have homemade noodles to enjoy whenever the mood strikes.
You can also read Rice noodle vegetarian recipe.